Magashi Camp is situated in the productive and phenomenally diverse north-eastern corner of Akagera National Park, overlooking scenic Lake Rwanyakazinga. Akagera comprises some of the most scenic savannah in East Africa – open plains, woodlands, lakes, swamp, and grassy low mountains – and is home to one of Africa’s highest hippo densities, large crocodiles as well as the rare sitatunga and more than 520 bird species. Teeming with plains game, Akagera also boasts a healthy population of lion which were introduced by African Parks in 2015 after a 20-year absence; black rhino were reintroduced in 2017. Magashi – the only exclusive-use area in Akagera – also harbours a good density of leopard.
Six spacious and airy tented guest rooms offer uninterrupted views over Lake Rwanyakazinga while Magashi’s main area comprises a luxurious lounge, dining and bar area, wine cellar and pool, as well as an expansive viewing deck with convivial fire pit. The architecture and interiors pay homage to traditional Rwandan culture.
Magashi has been established in partnership with the Rwanda Development Board (RDB) and African Parks, demonstrating our commitment to pioneering sustainable and authentic ecotourism in Rwanda. Our core Purpose here is to help conserve Rwanda’s last protected savannah ecosystem, and species like black rhino and the rare and elusive shoebill; furthermore, our presence in Akagera National Park will contribute towards enabling it to become economically self-sufficient for the first time.
Unique Selling Points
Ideal opportunity to combine an extraordinary gorilla experience while at Bisate Lodge with a spectacular savannah safari at Magashi
View East African bird- and wildlife specials from expertly-guided game drives, walks and boating trips
Take in a cultural experience en route with a visit to an Ankole cattle farm or a local school
• Canvas tented accommodation on an elevated deck with elevated wooden walk ways connecting tents to the main areas
• Each tent comprises en-suite facilities with an indoor shower, single vanity basin and separate toilet.
• Wardrobe, luggage rack, writing desk and chair, hat and coat stand, easy chairs, seating area, mosquito net, electronic safe, tea and coffee making facilities, multi-plug adaptor charging facilities for mobile devices, mini-bar and outside deck with seating area.
• There is no air-conditioning, however, a pedestal fan in each tent.
• Two way emergency radios have been fitted in the tents and may be used by guests to contact camp management in the event of an emergency only. Said radios are on a closed circuit and inter-tent communication is not available.
• Amenities include; bathrobes, slippers, liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner, body lotion, insect repellent, shower caps, vanity kit with cotton tipped swabs and cotton balls, tissue dispenser, washing powder (for smalls), umbrella and room spray.